Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Born Out of Despiration.

Well folks it finally happened. I met the food that bested me. Tremble and cower in fear at the name of Natto.

Natto is a four step process: step 1. place rotten soybeans in a bowl, step 2. mix in the black mystery sauce (this should produce a grey white film on the beans and serves to get the fungal aroma started, step 3. mix in remaining two clear mystery sauces (this, once stirred well, will produce a thick stringy slimy texture), step 4. eat natto. Natto can be mixed into virtually any food, our host mother said to eat it on rice.

Natto has what can best be described as a virulent taste. Imagine if you will the smell of 6 day old coffee grounds left in the sun. Now taste that smell and mix it with the texture of something slug like and perhaps a little bitter lettuce or old lemon. That is what it is like to eat natto. If you should come across this food in any of your travels I recomend you try it and then make the decision for yourself. However, I`ve made my choice, and from now on I`m staying far . . . far away from natto.

7 comments:

Mom said...

Andrew, I read that one needs to acquire taste for Natto like some types of cheese and once you do, you will be addicted to this "vegetable cheese". It has great health benefits also. Where is your Anthony Bourdain spirit? Sending a hug, Mom

Matt said...

Don't listen to her, Andrew. Sometimes your tongue knows what's best for you.

Unknown said...

Catching up on your adventures. Almost as good as hearing them from you in person.
Take care!
Diane

Tanya said...

Sounds pretty yukky to me, Andrew. Think I'll pass on the Natto for the moment.
Love from the farm...T.

Andrea said...

Natto looks like brains but it's quite good, in my opinion.
To post pictures on your blog, there should be a little photo icon on the toolbar next to the spell check and italic/bold text options. You upload from your computer. Avoid uploading several at a time, as it takes forever, at least in these parts.

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHA!! That shit sounds horrible! Love you man, miss you!

CaryinBoulder said...

NATTO DREAD ...
We're pretty adventurous foodwise, but this (along with pickled carp gills) is one thing we never order at the sushi bar. But I think you should bring some home for your mom; I'm sure she'd love it.

Just back from three weeks in Italy. Nothing there I woldn't eat!

Keep exploring!

Cary-san